As an Alexandria Masters Swim Coach you will help lead and inspire swimmers through
high-quality instruction that fosters a joy for developing and participating in the sport of
swimming. We are a USMS registered Masters team with over 180 swimmers of varying
levels swimming at 3 locations in Alexandria, Virginia. We train year-round, including an
outdoor program in the summer.
On a regular day you will conduct group practices, analyze swim techniques and
determine skill levels, develop individualized swimming programs, educate swimmers
on various techniques and styles, and oversee training.
- Lead structured Alexandria Masters practices focusing on stroke technique,competitive preparedness, relationship building, and collaboration based on the needs of the Alexandria Masters community.
- Build and grow the Alexandria Masters program in conjunction with fellow coaches to include developing an engaging training program.
- Write all practices for the Alexandria Masters swimmers.
- Attend team events, and a selected number of swim meets each year (determined in coordination with coaches and the board).
- Assist swimmers with swim meet, triathlon, or other competition training.
- Potentially be available for more than one practice site running the Alexandria Masters program.
- Arrive 10-15 minutes prior to each practice to confirm swimmers’ U.S. Masters Swimming registration and current membership status with Alexandria Masters Swimming.
- Keep detailed and accurate attendance records.
- Maintain consistent, clear, effective and positive communication with the Alexandria Masters swimmers.
- To thrive in this position you have coached competitive swimming and have a thorough understanding of stroke technique. You create skill-level appropriate work-outs and have excellent communication with swimmers, board members, and pool staff.
- Strict adherence with safe sport standards.
- Lifeguard or In-Water Skills certification and CPR (BLS)/First Aid certified*(required)
- Pool operator certification* (preferred)
- USA Swimming or USMS certified coach, ASCA certifications (preferred)* The Alexandria Masters Swim Team will pay for the following certifications for its regular coaching staff.
- Yearly USMS registration – 100% reimbursed
- Lifeguard/CPR certification – 100% reimbursed
- Pool Operator certification – 100% reimbursed
- USMS Coaching certification classes – 50% reimbursed (Potomac Valley LMSC will also reimburse 50% once the request is approved)
Hourly rate: $28 for 60-minute practices, $42 for 90-minute practices
To apply, email your resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Coach
Application” in the subject line.
The Alexandria Masters Swim Team is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and
equal opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race,
color, religious creed, protected genetic information, national origin, ancestry, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or veteran’s status